facebook · twitter
2008 Toronto event
Return to archive page
August 9th, 2008, 4:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Toronto Peace Garden, Nathan Phillips Square
- Featuring keynote Bruce Gagnon, Founder, Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. Bruce has appeared on the TV program "60 Minutes" and is known as the writer of the "16th Most Censored US Story of the Year" for his 2006 article "US Plans for Hemispheric Integration Includes Canada" on how the weaponization of space will include nuclear warheads.
- Reading the Proclamation from the City of Nagasaki will be Joe Ohori (Canadian-born, Hiroshima Survivor).
- Performances to include Japanese drummers, the Raging Grannies, flautist Debbie Danbrook, and the silent story performance of "Sadako".
- Award Winning Short Films include:
- No More Hiroshima No More Nagasaki,
- Veterans Against Nuclear War,
- Genie in a Bottle,
- Our Hiroshima, and the
- International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons, "ICAN" video.
- All events are free to the public.
- Films at 4:30–6:00 pm.
- Paper crane and lantern making activities start at 4:30 pm.
- Commemoration, entertainment and speakers 6:30–8:45 pm.
- Lantern ceremony at 8:45 pm.